Monday, September 22, 2008

Stone Cali - Belgique


Stone's newest creation. From what I read it is a Stone IPA, made with a Belgian yeast strain which brings out unique characteristics of the IPA. I'm interested. I also read on BA that this is a collaboration with AleSmith Brewing in San Diego (whales vagina). The Stone website makes no mention of AleSmith at all. Greg Koch is kind of an ass though so it would make since. Belgique has Magnum and Centennial and is dry hopped with Chinook. 6.9 ABV and 77 IB's. Put it in my mouth.

6 comments:

ScottyK said...

My first reaction to reading this is that I am not a Belgian fan so I wouldn't like that. But there again I have pigeonholed myself in to only liking IPA's with the exception of Pale Ales. Stone is on of the breweries that I have a special connection to just because when I started getting in to "good" beer I tried it and it was one of this first that I actually liked. So for Stone to come out with this it may be my way of broadening my horizons. Who knows if I will get to try it because someone still owes me some from GABF.

slick said...

I know what you mean Scotty. We just got Stone in GA yesterday and I'm pretty pumped about it.

ScottyK said...

That is awesome to know considering someone was supposed to bring me some back from GABF and they forgot it at back that their parents house.

slick said...

I just found out that this won Stone "Best in Show" at the Belgian Beer Fest. Must be tasty!

slick said...

It appears i was wrong it was the Stone/Mikkeller/Alesmith Collaborative Beer (Tripel; 9.5%).

Weasel said...

Scotty-I assure you that when you get your ass back to Ga i will have stone waiting for you.

Those damn belgians have some of the broadest horizons on earth with their,,,flemish sours, and gueze (crazy sour), open fermentation, use of fruit, and awesome propensity to mix religion and high alcohol beers...BUT they've never given the hop it's due respect. Thank God Belgian brewers in the past 2-3 years have enjoyed such amazing hopped out treats like the Arrogant Bastard and Russian River's Pliny The Elder and taken the hop gospel back to the motherland. The results are some cool hoppy Belgian IPA's, i appreciate Stone giving a nod to world class belgian beers with an american ass kickin.